DEVISE! Region IV Devised Theatre Project: Let’s get rollin’!
Devised Theatre challenges a group of theatre artists to create an original piece of theatre through a holistic collaborative effort. This year’s prompt has been provided by the National office so it is time for ensembles to get to work creating your pieces for Festival 49 – in Statesboro, GA. All inquiries or “Intent to Participate” emails should be directed to Lee at LNEIBERT@uscupstate.edu .
Please see the project parameters below and the new prompt. You can read more about the Devised Theatre Project at the National Website . Please let me know if you have any questions about this project. I look forward to learning the ropes and seeing what the talented student ensembles of Region IV bring to the festival.
KCACTF NATIONAL DEVISED THEATRE PROJECT 2017
TITLE: On this day, I find the courage to serve justice.
– Ensemble will select their sources of inspiration as their creative container (examples: a photograph, a poem, a fictional or non-fictional short story, a memory, interviews, a question, etc.). Ensemble will be asked to clearly articulate how their sources informed process and product, form and content.
– Each ensemble will create a unique performance vocabulary informed by their source materials. This vocabulary should include movement, voice, visual image, sonic landscape, text and scenic environment and communicate the piece’s style and aesthetic.
– Ensemble should consider time restraints and travel considerations. These parameters are designed to form a creative container to spark your imaginations and deepen your exploration.
Approximately 16’X16’ playing space, ensemble determines audience placement & interaction
Work lights up/down provided, any additional lighting will be ensemble-generated
Regions provide electrical power, ensemble must provide all technical sources (music sources, extension cords, projector, clip lights, etc)
20 minute time limit which must include set-up, performance and strike
- Set up and strike can be part of the performance
Contributions of the ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed
Not every member of the ensemble must perform, but the majority should
Faculty advisors may provide outside-eye feedback, but students should drive the work
No live flame
No functional weapons
- Each showing will be given a short response from regional faculty and/or devising guest artists. Each deviser will be expected to speak articulately about their work, displaying rigor of process and responsibility for form and content.
- Devising isn’t an aesthetic; it’s a process. This approach to creating new work includes multiple aesthetics, production value spectrums, and performance styles.
- Regions will only provide the space; ensembles must bring everything else. Be careful about making assumptions (availability of chairs, acting blocks, etc)
- Deadline for submission – October 31st (or set by individual region co-ordinators)
- Schools may enter multiple groups for the devising initiative.
- To participate in Region IV, send intent to participate email to Lee E. Neibert at email@example.com by October 31st.